market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] commercial kitchen advice?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Carla Maness <manessfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] commercial kitchen advice?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 07:49:21 -0600

Here in Oklahoma everything that is processed in any way must be done in a commercial kitchen that is inspected. I have a friend who built a rather large metal barn, put up a wall in the middle and one side is her husband's shop, and the other side is her commercial kitchen. She's a baker, and she was able to buy everything at auctions.  Oklahoma State University has a food processing class that explains all the regulations, licensing, etc... you might check with your local university and see if they offer anything, or check out FAPC on-line at OSU. Our rules here are confusing. At one point you had to have a process authority letter for every item you canned, which costs 50 dollars. It almost seems to be set up to discourage small businesses. None of that will apply where you are, but it would give you some idea of what's required.
You have to test your wash water to make sure your chlorine levels are where they need to be. The PH must be tested in everything you can, etc... I don't keep up with the details. I kick around the idea of doing the same thing, canning excess produce and I get discouraged quickly when I start checking into it. My friend and I even thought of teaming up and using my produce, her kitchen and coming up with a dried soup mix to sell at market. We haven't managed to get that going, and I'm not sure there would be any demand.
Good luck!

Carla
Perkins, OK