market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] commercial kitchen advice?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] commercial kitchen advice?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 04:53:26 -0500

Talk to your county health department person, if you haven't already. They will tell you exactly what they expect and will work with you to get to the goal of a licensed kitchen. At least that is true in my county in Ohio. I have not set up such a kitchen but from working on a lot of commercial kitchens I know what is required

You must have a bathroom/toilet, a hand sink, floors and walls that can be washed (no carpet), SS tables and shelves, this seems to hold no matter what state. You might also need an exhaust hood and refrigeration as well. But like I said talk to the county health district folks

What Tom is talking about are Cottage Industry Regs which a lot of states now have and they cover a lot but by no means everything. I had the idea to offer meat raised by others out of my farm store but that meant getting the facility licensed and that would have set me back at least $15K.

--
Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm