market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] commercial kitchen advice?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom & Melanie" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] commercial kitchen advice?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 13:02:55 -0500

Don’t know about NY, but in Ohio you may do ‘some’ canning in your home.   Clueless as to dehydrating.  http://www.agri.ohio.gov/divs/FoodSafety/docs/CottageFoodOperation-factsheet.pdf

How about renting the local church, Eagles, Amvets, American Legion kitchen?

Tom
Limerock Orchards

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:20 PM
Subject: [Market-farming] commercial kitchen advice?

Hi --

Has anyone on this list ever started a commercial kitchen according to New York State (or similar) standards? If so, could you tell me what materials you used, and how much did it cost?

I'm looking at possibly dehydrating or canning excess produce, and can't sell such items legally here without a commercial kitchen. I would almost certainly have to put up a new building. Money is definitely a factor.

Thanks --