market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Digging fork suggestions?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Digging fork suggestions?
  • Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 15:39:39 -0400

On 11-10-02 12:10 PM, Mike Brabo wrote:
> Erin,
> We too have broken "potato" forks.
> Here's two options:
> http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=broadfork
> http://www.valleyoaktools.com/broadfork.html
> We've had good results using Johnny/Coleman's 9 tine design in high tunnels
> and outdoors.
> Good diggin,

At first, I wanted to get one of those 9 tines broadfork, but I am not
sure anymore. I bought a 5 tines from Lee Valley (in Canada), it's
cheaper and it worked well for me last season. The tines on it are big
as a finger, and it's an all metal construction (including the handles).
My only complain about it is that it is mighty heavy. But I guess the
more delicate tines on the Johnny's one would probably not survived the
abuse of having to lift my heavy clay soil, so I bear the burden. :)

The Valley Oak one look sturdier because of the fins welded to tines for
reinforcement. Never seen one in action, though.

Just sayin'.

Etienne