market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Crows and other birds...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Crows and other birds...
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 10:53:00 -0400

It does work, my neighbor uses this trick on his sweet corn.  We seem to have no problems with crows.  In the fall we have thousands of them in our field post harvest which bothers me not.  The are gleaning weed and corn seed which cleans out the field for spring.  They never are int he produce though.

One little pain we have had is with yellow finches.  We are letting several hundred row feet of dill and coriander dry down on the stem and they LOVE the seeds.  Partial loss but to be honest the amount of money I am losing is less than the amount of time it would take to net the stuff.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855