market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Purslane...for market?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Purslane...for market?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:54:01 -0500

Regards to the list:

We harvest purslane for market. I didn’t know it was edible until I ordered seed and when it came up, I realized it was the same as what I had been hoeing to death. I pull it up with the roots intact, rinse it in cool water, wrap a wet paper towels around the roots, haul it to market in a cooler, then display it on the table with the roots in water much like you would flowers. It’s sort of an oddity at market; I encourage customers to taste a leaf. We’ve not had any feedback from our CSA customers yet.

Marie in Missouri