market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Purslane...for market?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Purslane...for market?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 22:35:05 -0400

I don't sell much of it but I do sell some. I harvest plants once they're big enough to harvest fast but before they go into bloom; trim the roots off, wash, store in the cooler. I sell gallon bags loose packed for $2 / bag in this generally low priced market area. It does help fill the stand out sometimes when other things are lacking.

You may need a bit of a thick skin as some people may hassle you for selling the weeds; but I have a few customers who really like it and ask for it if I haven't got it. I tell the first kind of people about the high nutritional value, and point out that although it comes up on its own it takes time to harvest, trim, wash, and pack it; and that some customers ask for it.

There's really no such thing as a weed, anyway. Raspberries are weeds in the strawberries. Strawberries are weeds in the lettuce. Dandelions were brought here by people who wanted to eat them. A weed is just a name we call any plant growing where somebody doesn't want it.