market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] The Sunday Times: Farmers' markets sell'supermarket' foods

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michelleann7 AT yahoo.com
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] The Sunday Times: Farmers' markets sell'supermarket' foods
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:48:10 +0000

When I first bought the new farm in eastern SC (very close to NC and lots of
myrtle beach traffic) the local farmers wanted to educate me on where to sell
produce to make lots of money. I discovered quickly that running their
version of a market farm was growing a few things yourself and resale-ing
tractor trailer loads of watermelons, squash, butterbeans, pumpkins and the
like obtained from the columbia state farmers market shipped in early from
FLA and late from OH. I don't want to grow and sell this way. Even SC state
dept agriculture says its okay and we will provide you a certified grown sign
if a portion is grown your own.
I don't agree with this and don't see where my local and beach trafficers can
continue paying resold 8 dollars for watermelons or pumpkins at a certfied SC
grown stand albeit large and good looking but lots of soda grown. Find your
niches and offer reasonably priced authentic farm grown fruit and vegetable
products and stick to a good diversified farm plan. I for one believe
reputation sells repeatedly.
Michelle Hromyak
Romy Farms
SC