market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Horn silica

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Horn silica
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:16:25 -0500

On Jan 31, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Bill Shoemaker wrote:

I will point out that the market doesn't really care. If biodynamic works, the market will support it.

Hi Bill,

I agree with you that it's worth doing studies on biodynamic; and I certainly don't want to start a fight with the biodynamic people -- if it works for you, go for it.

But I do want to point out that the market supports all sorts of things that don't work, and even some things that do considerable damage. Just because someone is having success selling something doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

And some things that *are* a good idea are not supported by the market. I think we've all had the experience of having a great product disappear from the market: because the producer didn't advertise as well as someone producing a poorer product; because the company producing a poorer product bought out the good one, but didn't want to be bothered keeping up the quality; or for a number of other possible reasons.