market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] determinate Tomato >> trellising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Deb Taft <growbd AT aol.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] determinate Tomato >> trellising
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:01:41 -0500

Do those of you growing tomatoes on a large scale do any sort of trellising for indeterminates?

The most I've grown was about 300 plants.  I used cattle panels or an overhead trellising system for the indeterminates and stakes or cages for the determinates.  This year I plan to grow a LOT more and most of the varieties I like are indeterminate.   I can't imagine providing trellising for vast numbers of plants but on the one occasion when I didn't get my s**t together for a row and just let them meander on the ground, I was very sorry.

I'd love to hear how y'all are handling this!

Best,
Deb
Sleepy Hollow NY,