market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Horn silica

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Horn silica
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:55:54 -0800

Actually, there have been some studies conducted on the efficacy of biodynamic vs organic systems:

"Research at Washington State University (WSU) by Dr. Lynn Carpenter-Boggs and Dr. John Reaganold found that biodynamic compost preparations have a significant effect on compost and the composting process. Biodynamically treated composts had higher temperatures, matured faster, and had higher nitrates than control compost piles inoculated with field soil instead of the preparations. The WSU research is unique for two reasons: it was the first biodynamic compost research undertaken at a land-grant university, and it demonstrated that biodynamic preparations are not only effective, but effective in homeopathic quantities.  This research can be found on the USDA-Agriculture Research Service's Tektran Web site at: http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/36450000/Products-Reprints/2000/865.pdf."

But, so far the research doesn't show a significant edge overall to biodynamic vs organic systems (http://soil.scijournals.org/cgi/content/full/64/5/1651) perhaps attributable to the the short length of the studies. From what I've seen of well-run biodynamic (organic, and even conventional) farms, all systems improve over time. And from what I've seen of poorly-run farms in all categoriesno system has an edge in the long-term...although the incompetent conventional farmer will probably sink faster from an overload of chemical & equipment debt.

For a dispassionate look at biodynamic systems: http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/biodynamic.html.

My takeaway from all this is that regardless of the farming system chosen, in the end it is the dedication and the 'shadow of the farmer' falling over every aspect of the farm that is the most effective fertilizer and prophylactic for all that may go awry. Choosing the system that encourages you personally to have that level of oversight will be the right system for you and your farm.

Kate