market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fast Growing Trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fast Growing Trees
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 11:07:32 -0600

The information below from Mr. Wiener is superb.  I would add the idea of generous soil amending and mulching to the regular water and feeding.  My number 1 customer request is for screening/shelter trees and I encourage customers to consider  wildlife habitat as part of the design.
Viburnum dentatum, unpruned, makes a hardy, fast growing 10-12ft tall and wide buffer zone while your trees are maturing that catches snow, and is beloved by birds. Several cultivars with amazing fall coloring are readily available and zone 4 hardy.  The old timey hedging cotoneaster can reach 8-10 feet tall in 3 years or less and fill in blanks til the trees are bigger.  Ditto Aronia and privet.  Catalpa trees can grow 5-7 feet a year; it's high nectar flowers are part of a beneficial insect habitat.  With ample moisture, you can almost see an alder tree grow.  Consider a shelterbelt as a hedgerow that will evolve over time and you will have more benefits on your property that just a windbreak.
Shawnee, zone 5