market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fast Growing Trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiener, Benjamin L CPT NG NG FORSCOM" <benjamin.l.wiener AT us.army.mil>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fast Growing Trees
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 08:06:52 +0300

For a good answer we would need more information. Zone 4 only tells how cold
you get, not how much moisture you get or what kind of soil you have. Talk
to your county extention agent and they should have both recommendations and
spring tree sales brochures. They buy in bulk and pass the savings on to
people planting shelter belts and wildlife plantings. The faster a tree
grows the weaker and lighter the wood. Fast growing trees are are generally
shorter lived. Any tree will grow faster if watered and fertilized
regularly. You may want a medium growth tree and fertilize and water it
while young to get it up to size then let it live and stand up to the wind
for generations.

Ben