market-farming - [Market-farming] Naming the gardens...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Naming the gardens...
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:30:16 -0500

Regards to the list:

Our farm has been in the family over 100 years. It was mortgaged from the
time my grandfather bought the first 40 acres in the late 1800's until the
1940's when my mom and dad paid off their mortgage with strawberry sales. At
one time they had 15 acres of strawberries. They had no phone, so they
communicated with customers by post card. Cards would arrive in our mailbox
addressed to The Strawberry Man, Tindall, MO. This was before any of the
roads were named and the dirt road that goes by here became known as
Strawberry Lane. So, when we bought the place, the name Strawberry Lane Farm
seemed appropriate. We considered WYAO (Work Your A$$ Off) Farm, but decided
it was too negative. People call it Strawberry Hill Farm a lot but we don't
mind. We are hoping that strawberry sales will pay off our mortgage too.

I would like to hear from Liz Pike on naming her various farms over the
years. They sounded wonderful!

Marie in Missouri where we've having fall weather already.