market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fun thoughts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fun thoughts
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:18:20 EDT

The one peice of equipment that we will not do without is our waterwheel transplanter, it has saved us so much time that you really can't put a price on it.  Our small greenhouse, 24 by 36, has enabled us to start all of our transplants all season long, about 80,000 a year but not all at once.  We start it up in late Febuary with our early starts and we are still starting flats this week for fall sales. A hoop building works good for some early stuff at the first part of the markets when no one else has some of these crops.  We use our building for early lettuce beds and spinach, chard,beets,radishes,and the list goes on for early May sales at farmers markets.  Did potatoes this year, worked pretty good but a couple of other vendors did the same so the price wasn't quite as good.

After 30 years in the business i think our single biggest problem is still handling weeds. It is one problem that has always been around this place and I really haven't solved the problem.  A year like this one where it rained every day of the week for 3 months weed really have done well.  We use no chemicals for weeds and I'm about to give in to using them, we have too many messes this year.  Now our ground is so hard that it will take a good freeze to get it workable, it has not rained for almost two months.  Drip is working overtime to keep things a going.

Phil from Iowa