market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Naming the gardens...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Naming the gardens...
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 16:05:49 -0400

Our name: "Roots Farm" brought together a lot of past and present: My past involvement with an urban ag project in Holyoke, MA called Nuestras Raices ("Our Roots"); our farming style which generally tries to utilize old-timey wisdom (back to our roots); the importance of the soil life --the medium for plant roots; even my partner's hair style (dreadlocks aka "roots"). Also, in our first years we also grew a lot of ground provisions -- root crops. Name seemed a little funny at first, now feels good/right. I like that it's earthy and short, easy to say, spell, remember.
Best wishes to all,

Karen

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm

Organic Produce

Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs

Cockrane, Dominica

767-449-3038

rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm <mailto:rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>

Garth & Kim Travis wrote:
Greetings,

Our property is named: The Rose Colored Forest, but it was bald pasture when we bought it. Our logo shows a pair of rose colored glasses, with the way it was on the outside of the glasses, and what we want seen through the lenses. We are a pair of dreamers.

We have had some problems with the name, but that is their problem. People will hear what they want to hear, you can't change them.

Besides, Travis farm/ranch or whatever is too common in Texas and didn't seem right for a pair of Canadians.<grin>.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

Roni wrote:
Our property is surrounded by planted pines. We named our farm "Whispering Pines" for the sound the wind makes through the trees.
Roni