market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Naming the gardens...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Naming the gardens...
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 12:46:48 -0700

Our first farm was on a site that a local gravel company wanted to buy for a
gravel pit. Pure glacial till (i.e. all size rocks, a little sand, even less
soil--great drainage though.)

As I hauled the 150th barrow full of quart size and bigger rocks out of the
first beds, the name of a beautiful place high in the Cascades that has been
special to our family for years sprang to mind as the perfect name for our
farm o' rocks: "Rocky Prairie Herb Gardens."

It's now almost 20 years later, and while we are now on an entirely rockless
piece of river bottom loam (woo hoo!!!), the name has stuck with us, as
opposed to the land that started it all.

One unanticipated consequence of the name when it comes to web sites &
email---apparently there are very few folks in the West that can correctly
spell the word "prairie." Get folks telling me all the time our email
doesn't work, etc. Turns out it's their inability to correctly spell prairie
with two I's.

Knowing what I know now, I probably should have just gone with something
very simple, like Rocky's Garden instead. And even the farmers market we've
attended since it's opening, still can't figure out that we are not Rocky
Prairie Farm or some other hybridization; we've rarely been listed the same
way twice on the web site or in marketing materials...and never correctly.

Indeed look for something about your site that may be a unique
characteristic you can capitalize upon. Just don't go too far afield with
complex words or long names; no one ever seems to be able to remember them.

KISS is a good thing to keep in mind when naming (Keep it simple, silly.)

Kate
Rocky Prairie Herb Gardens
Tualco Valley, WA