market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry and Raspberry Questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Glen Eco Farm" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry and Raspberry Questions
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:02:57 -0400

The number of June bugs and Japanese beetles vary from year to year.
If chickens are routing around the stalks (at the right time in the spring to eat the grubs) that can be helpful.
We have used phermone traps and then dump the beetles into the chicken water dish, and the chickens rush to eat them. If we have a big infestation of Japanese beetles, I take a bug jug along the row in the early morning or evening (when the bugs aren't flying), and feed my catch to the chickens.

Marlin puts T posts on a slant to form a V cradle and then runs wire or string from post to post.
Right now we are having a bumper crop of Hull thornless blackberries. The beetles are not plentiful this year and the berries couldn't be more luscious.
Heritage red raspberries are starting to ripen.

Christine.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pat Meadows" <pat AT meadows.pair.com>