market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Starting Peppers from Seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Starting Peppers from Seed
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 19:34:11 -0500

I once had a sales rep try to scare me out of switching from peat in the germinating mix to coir fiber by saying that he "had heard" that coir altered the pH and slowed germination.  (He sold peat, not coir and I was changing to a more sustainable product.)  Coir is still my choice...haven't noticed any pH problems in 6 years.  I do follow the Stokes Seed company technical directions on peppers-most everything else too; they are thorough-germinate very warm and then grow on cool.  Shawnee, zone 5 and the furnace still coming on at night.