market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:05:52 -0400

On Thu, 29 May 2008 15:29:09 -0500, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> The plants look very healthy.  I agree, it looks like a lack of pollination,
> but that doesn't make sense.  I'm a beekeeper and the hives are about 50
> yards away.  I have noticed the bees turn up their noses at the berry
>blooms.
>  Perhaps there are other more savory blooms nearby - although I doubt it.
>>> I have three kinds of thornless blackberries.  They grow great and look
>>> great, but no berries, or at least very few.  They bloom in great numbers,
>>> but after the blooms, what look like immature berries, just dry up and
>>> never mature.  What could be happening?

Every year I have a few raspberry plants whose berries get hard and
desiccated rather than plump and juicy. It's isolated to a few plants
surrounded by healthy ones, making me think it's a root-derived problem
(these are fall-bearing on primocanes). I thought I had a description and
picture in my diseases book, but I couldn't find it today. But I wouldn't say
mine look like immature berries, more like mummies of a real raspberry.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/