market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:11:31 -0400

On May 29, 2008, at 8:40 AM, TxBeeFarmer wrote:

I've brought this up before, but never really found an answer. Maybe
someone will know this time.

I have three kinds of thornless blackberries. They grow great and look
great, but no berries, or at least very few. They bloom in great numbers,
but after the blooms, what look like immature berries, just dry up and never
mature. What could be happening?

Thanks

TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
West Texas Zone 7b

Some years ago (it may have been as many as twenty years ago) there were some thornless blackberries on the market that turned out to be sterile. Maybe you somehow got some of those?

I don't remember the variety or the company, I did buy a few (and tilled them in) but it was a long time ago and my recordkeeping wasn't as good then as it is now; so it would take me more time to locate that info than I have at this time of year. I'm pretty sure they were only on the market for a year or so, though, and were withdrawn as soon as the problem had been figured out; this would have been probably the late 1980's. So tbis might well not be the explanation, depending on how and when you got the plants.

Back to trying to make it rain by spending more time hooking up drip tape --