market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Starting Peppers from Seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Starting Peppers from Seed
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 05:00:53 -0700

Needing to do everything organically, I've tried mixing our 'magic dust'
(Steve Solomon's recipe from "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades") into
the seed starting mix and didn't find any advantage over using the Sunshine
Grower's Organic without. In fact there is usually a bit of grey mold that
shows up from a couple of the ingredients. Watering after germination I add
liquid kelp at half strength and within 2-3 weeks get them transplanted into
containers with the 'magic dust' added. Maybe one more watering of liquid
kelp at full strength and they are good to go with no more fussing with
adding things to the water. I've had bad results adding fish to the water,
even at low strength, so stopped bothering a few years ago, and can't tell
that they miss it.

Kate
Washington