market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] organic compost/humus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Guthrie" <dguthrie AT egyptian.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic compost/humus
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:13:17 -0500

thanks Rivka. . .

just about what I thought.  i used the bags in flower bed but will use the bed for cold frame spinach this winter. . . think i'll dig it up and replace the soil with my garden dirt and organic chicken litter.

David Guthrie
southern illinois

There are bagged composts etc. acceptable for organic certification, and those should be OK; but they're often hard to find. Watch out for labels that are using the word "organic" just in the sense of "organic matter"; that doesn't necessarily mean that they're acceptable. The brand I use says "Approved for organic crop production". I also have to check specific brands with my certifier; while those not certified of course don't have to do that, an organic certification agency operating in your area might be a good source of info for approvable brands.