market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Use of Gypsum

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Use of Gypsum
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:36:22 -0500 (CDT)

I use gypsum as a side-dress on tomatoes and peppers applied at a rate of 500
pounds per acre though I'm sure you could use less I can not recommend an
exact rate. Applying too much or too little doesn't seem to matter. We have a
soil deficiency of sulphur in many parts of the east as a result of years of
air pollution controls. Adding sulphur improves uptake of nitrogen and the
highly soluble calcium in gypsum together with sulphur produces firmer
tomatoes with less cracking and end rot and thicker walled bell peppers...
Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.