market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] eggplant, tomatillos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: <farmersue AT hughes.net>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] eggplant, tomatillos
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 20:30:09 -0400

If you do Eggplants in the greenhouse they should be staked and given lots of room; they turn into ‘trees’. Even if you do them outside and you have a long season, they are on plastic, it gets windy and/or are on drip I think they should be staked and woven the same way Tomatoes can be [ie San Diego weave: put in 5’ tomato stake with 2 or 3 plants between each stake {if they are in a group planting the rows protect each other so I go to 4 plants between each pair of stakes} Thread tomato twine through a 3’ section of pipe, tie to stake at a 1’ height and  ‘weave’ the twine on the outside of one plant then the inside of the next, every time you come to a stake wrap the twine once only around the stake then continue weaving. When you come to the end of the row turn around and weave the opposite way to the way you came up this way each plant will be held. Normally we do Eggplants twice and Toms 4 or five times a foot higher each time ] This sounds like work but is very fast and if Eggplants touch the ground they are done for, so it is well worth it.

Good luck.

David

PS has anyone had experience pruning Eggplants?

 "The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is pure theory."