market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] eggplant, tomatillos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] eggplant, tomatillos
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 07:37:10 -0400

You will have to protect seedlings from flea beetles which will kill them. I use row covers on hoops and sticky traps and have never lost a one.

Tom at Limerock wrote:
Don't know about tomatillos; did grow eggplant a few times. Never staked them.

That being said, regular eggplant usually have sturdy stalks (for us). Grew oriental/italian one year and did not stake them. I have heard that some do stake those but mostly to have the eggplant grow straight. I would probably stake those if I grew them again (for marketing).

Tom
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market

----- Original Message ----- From: Sue Wells