market-farming - [Market-farming] Labor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bill Bradshaw" <billbradshaw AT hughes.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Labor
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 19:22:09 -0500

Willie, labor is always a trouble for us. I think no one wants to work. They want a check come Friday, but don't realize that if I don't make any money I can't pay you.
We have right now 45 full time workers at the processing plant. And I have only 2 farm workers. Our blackberries are starting and so are the blueberries, squash, cucumbers and onions. The onions need to be pulled now, it has rained almost each day for weeks.
And my regular farm workers that come each year have not showed up yet. So as of today I am in a real pickle for help. The chilies are not ready to harvest but they will be soon. We have 96,000 Chile plants planted, lost a few to heavy rain (fields washed)
Our lowest paid worker gets $7.00 hr. plus lunch.
Why am I still doing this? I haven't a clue. Bill