market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] electric fencing - Premier

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] electric fencing - Premier
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 20:43:11 -0500

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 09:06:49PM -0400, DFORD8N AT aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/25/2007 2:37:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> mf AT austinfarm.org writes:
>
> http://www.austinfarm.org/homegrown/images/images5/index.html
>

> Wow! That's a lot of fence. Looks like in the off season you could get a
> contract boarding prisoners for the county.

Most of the deer fence is surprisingly cheap. 5 strand barbed wire (or
maybe it's 6) was $1.25-$1.50/ft and the electic inner fence was less
than $1/ft. That's contractor built, including labor. Of course the
decorative cattle panel and pipe front portion was pretty expensive.
But, less than $3/ft for deer fence looks real attractive to me. That
was before recent steel cost increases. Last year I priced 8' "real"
deer fence; it was at least $7/ft.

I notice that the fence is now four years old, not three as I stated in
the previous post. Just before I had that fence built, we had a very
interesting and educational discussion here on deer control.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 433 days 3 hours 23 minutes