market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tillage is tillage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brigette Leach <avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tillage is tillage
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 14:10:36 -0500

Steve,
While it has been interesting to follow the thread regarding tillage, I must take issue with statements that you have made in this particular post. Having practiced minimum tillage for more than twenty years, successfully and on a large scale (more than 1000 acres) we have first hand experience, not theory nor merely opinion, to base our position upon.

Your posted statement: Conventional no till has been around awhile and is touted as a superior way of preventing erosion (and saving the planet, even.) The chemical farmers just kill cover crops and sod with herbicides and plant directly into the dead stubble with heavy-duty planters.

First, we have never, repeat never, sprayed an herbicide to kill a cover crop. Crop residue is left in place, in our case either, wheat stubble, or corn or soybean residue. No additional trip across the field to plant a cover crop. No additional trip across the field to spray in order to kill a cover crop, as you claim. No additional trip across for tillage. We are particularly mindful of soil compaction issues and each additional pass across a field, regardless of the reason for it, is of concern. Organic growers are not the only ones using ridge-till to deal with soil temperature, conventional growers have used that practice for decades.

Secondly, in all of my years of involvement with soil conservation and water protection efforts, I have never, repeat never, heard anyone claim that no-til or minimum tillage was going to save the planet. What a derogatory statement to make toward producers and technicians who are sincerely attempting to develop better practices. There is more than enough scientific evidence available to conclude that minimum tillage practices do indeed prevent soil movement, if one is of the mindset to look for it. Those of us who farm in Michigan are particularly mindful of keeping nutrients in the soil and accessible to the crop being grown rather than in our water.

Thirdly, this attitude that all chemical farmers are just doing everything possible to rape the land and fowl the water are absurd. I know, quite literally, thousands of producers coast to coast, who employ practices from conventional to sustainable/organic. None of them are going out of their way to destroy anything. Simply doing the best they can with the information they have at the time. The notion that each of them is doing, or should do, everything the same way ignores not only variations in soils, but crops and micro-climates as well.

Discussions are desirable, and I appreciate posts that are indeed conversations, seeking to share real knowledge.

Brigette
Avalon Farms Homegrown
www.avalonfarmshomgrown.com