market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex McGregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:24:38 -0500

Allan,

There is no "grower only" philosophy out there somewhere. Each market has
written their own based on local situation, who is asked for support...

If you're selling the idea to a town council, you may want to include
dollar turnover figures in a local economy, the experience in other cities
of a farmers market located in a town's commercial area increasing sales
for merchants on market day, farmers markets being a part of the
revitalization in urban areas... You will have to decide which issues to
address based on the local situation.

Some of this info is readily available and some isn't. I suggest you start
with your regional Resource Conservation and Development Council (RC&D).
They have a lot of statistics on rural economy and it's impact on towns.
(Our RC&D Council writes grants to support our market.)

I would suggest that you get to know a council person, mayor, city manager
and whoever else is a mover or shaker in the town. Selling them on the
idea will help a whole lot more than walking in cold to a meeting.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm