market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex McGregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:34:11 -0500

Maybe you should talk to people like the Wiedigers in KY. They had a
similar situation and started a "grower only" market in their area.

Also, there are many successful "grower only" markets around the country.
Try the state and USDA listings to find them. In our area there's the
Battlefield Farmers Market and the Cotton Mill Farmers market. Battlefield
started as a way to preserve farms through creation of viable markets for
their goods. Cotton Mill is part of a comprehensive, County-wide program
to stop the encroachment of urban and suburban development- to keep their
area the way it is now.

Most market managers are glad to share info- just ask. But, creating a
market takes a lot of work, time and commitment by the farmers. It ain't
easy!

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm