market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:16:47 -0600 (CST)

Here in NJ its a $50000 fine if you are caught selling out of state produce
like melons in May when marketed as local grown... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
Date: 2007/01/24 Wed PM 03:26:55 CST
To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Allan,
Are the customers aware that the melon they are buying in May is not a
locally grown melon? My guess is no. They don't know. So many people are
disconnected from farms and where food comes from.  I couldn't count the
times I have had customers ask for asparagus in July. They think because they
can buy it in the store year round that we all can produce it year round. My
guess is if the market customers were more aware of what "in season" really
means your market master would back down from the idea of needing everything
all the time.
How many other vendors think as you do? Is it the majority? Is replacing the
market master with a more like minded person an option? Some times it is
easier to work with what you have, rather than trying to start a whole new
market.
Good luck,
Carla