market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Celli spaders and cover crop incorporation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Celli spaders and cover crop incorporation
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:06:48 -0500

Greg,

>To those folks with Celli spaders, how well do they incorporate a flailed-off cover crop in your soil type?

Very well. They will do a better job in wetter ground than most Primary tillage tools.

>Do you always find that you have to make a second tillage pass before transplanting, or for seeding?

For larger seeded crops in our, light, ground, no. It helps to have a roller fixed on the back to firm up the ground a little for small seeded crops.

Anyway you should allow the green manure/cover crop time to breakdown which would necessitate a secondary, topical, weed killing pass prior to planting.

 >Has anyone tried to attach a Celli with a secondary power harrow like some of the Imants models have?  Thanks.  Greg York Thanksgiving Farm

This is common in Europe but not here. I don’t need it on my ground.

Celli’s are costly to maintain in that they have so many metric bearings that are a b---- to get at. Lots of moving parts but they leave the crumb structure in good shape compared to anything else I have used except not tilling; you might want to think about that.

Best.

David

Mahaiwe Harvest CSA