market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Mr Lucky <steve AT mrlucky.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Grower Only Farmers Markets
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:53:06 -0500

What is the current market? I thought farmers markets were for growers. Can
someone go to a distribution center and pick up commerical produce and
resell it? How is that all much different than a grovery store? I can see
one person selling for a lot of little farms who might otherwise make $50,
but it seems to me a farmers market should be for farmers.

You're right! (Man, I still never got any pisole!)

But this market has outright produce jobbers. Melons in May.

And the market master stands behind it: We need what people want here all the time to get people in. We need melons here in May for the people who need a melon. Maybe they'll buy some asparagus while they are here."

The market is right in the middle of town and is always filled with after-church shoppers (a Sunday market)

I'm looking for some grower-only program, guidelines, and whatno. Something with a track record Something that shows that "Allan Balliett, the local grower" isn't just making up the idea of a 'grower only' market.