market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Landscape fabric

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose Hill Plantation" <1corey AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Landscape fabric
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 22:11:12 -0500

If you get it down tight enough, you will avoid this problem. The plants will try to grow underneath, but cannot sustain themselves and will die back, again, the key is getting the fabric down tight. Also, weeds will find the tiniest little hole and grow up through it. I have pigweed in one of my gardens, and it found every hole in my fabric. The other issue about getting it down tight is wind. I had just covered half of my plot when a storm blew in. Unfortunately because I had been in a hurry trying to beat the storm, I had skimped on staples, and the wind found the weak spots, ripped every bit of it up, and twisted it into a ball down in my pasture. I still haven't untangled all of it. Good luck!

Pam
Rose Hill Plantation
----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Balliett" <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>