market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Landscape fabric

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "john good" <goodfarmers AT enter.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Landscape fabric
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:28:46 -0500

Pam,
We had landscape fabric on our everbearing raspberries at our previous farm for four years. We left a one foot to eighteen inch wide swath for the berries to sucker and grow and covered the sides of the bed with old sections of silt fence. We pulled off the wooden stakes and the landscape fabric was sized well to cover to the shoulders of the bed. We anchored the fabric with pins and rocks. We had no trouble with suckers lifting the fabric. Wind was more of a problem, but the rocks took care of that. We had little to no trouble with weed emergence through the fabric, and I think if you are planning on mulch on top of the fabric you should really cut down on any weeds that find holes in the fabric.
We are putting in rapsberries at our new farm this year and plan on using the same system. Once it is in place, it really left us with maintenace free berries. Hope this helps,

John & Aimee Good
Quiet Creek Farm
1996 Folk Rd.
Fogelsville, PA 18051