market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Yield Estimates

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <txbeefarmer AT hotpop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Yield Estimates
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:17:01 -0600

Personally, I don't think you can estimate your yields this way.  There are just too many variables that you have no control over that greatly affect yields.

The number of temperature units or degree days over various time periods coupled with hours of sun per day and temperatures at night.

Amount of rain AND frequency AND how that compares to the number of degree days combined with irrigation amounts, rates, schedules, and method used.

Soil temperature.

Wind.

Pests.

Soil fertility - affected by fertilization, rain fall, irrigation, tilth, drainage, etc.....

The list goes on and on.

I think all you can do is plant more than you think you'll need and hope for the best.  Granted, after several years you'll get a "feel" for how much to plant, but you will never know.

What do the rest of you think?

TxBeeFarmer
Mark (West Texas - Zone 7b)