market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bed Shaper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kelly Saxer" <kellysaxer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bed Shaper
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:13:49 -0700

That's exactly what I use now. I have a 6 foot draw bar, with 2 middle-buster plows mounted directly behind my tractor wheels. I till with a rototiller attachment first, so that the soil is well worked before I make rows. My tractor pulls the 2 middle-buster plow that I have just fine, but it doesn't make the best planting surface at the top of the bed. The soil it throws to the top of the bed is often uneven and sometimes a little clumpy. As a result, my seeder can't run smoothly along the bed top and I'm not getting the germination rates that I'd like to. I work by myself and depend a lot on my tractor and attachments to be my help. I'm not the handiest person in the world and have found that when I try to improvise, I'm often sorry I wasted the time and heartache. All I need is something to smooth the top of my rows, though. So, I do think I'll give it some thought before spending the extra money.

Thanks,
Kelly