market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bed Shaper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <txbeefarmer AT hotpop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bed Shaper
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:17:00 -0600

What width of bed do you want to create. I can't see creating more than something like 36" beds. Anything more makes picking difficult. If you want something in that neighborhood, all you have to do is put some buster plows on a draw bar. You can even out the tops as you go with either sweeps or busters raised up a little to knock off the high spots. I get pretty high beds by putting upside down busters on top of the ones already mounted on the shanks. They'll throw much more dirt on the beds that way. Your tractor should be able to handle three busters pretty well if the ground is already broken up - making two beds. If you don't get the beds high enough the first pass, make another to throw more dirt on top. For small tractors, gauge wheels will keep you from going too deep if the land has ups and downs and will really help if you plan to make more than one pass.

Hope this helps.
TxBeeFarmer
Mark (West Texas - Zone 7b)