market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Clearing out poison ivy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jen Prosser" <jen AT sunstoneherbs.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Clearing out poison ivy
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:42:16 -0400

Although it wouldn't be practical if you had a lot of PI to clear, or if it
was interspersed with other brush/weed (say if it's along a fence line),
I've had luck getting rid of poison ivy in garden/field areas or by trees by
fully "suiting up" & hand digging it out. Takes a couple times, just like
with vinegar, but it'll work.

I double glove with 1st latex gloves, then long dishwashing or blue gloves
over the latex.

Then long pants, tucked into socks, boots, cotton T-shirt covered with a
long sleeve button up dress shirt (I use old men's style dress shirts
because they are roomy) -shirt sleeves get tucked into gloves, bandana
around neck and another around the hair (which is tied back) & glasses.
Fully suited up like this, it's easy to spend the time digging out the roots
(ok not easy, especially not in the heat of summer, but...if you don't want
to use poison or vinegar or goats)

I dig and put roots & tops in a bag which I put in the garbage. Once PI is
securely in bag, and bag is in the back of the truck or in the garbage can,
then remove your outer gloves & either toss them or keep them carefully in a
plastic bag for next PI use. then have another large bag ready for your PI
contaminated overshirt, neckerchief & hair wrap.

If I have to drive to the site, I cover the seat of the truck with newspaper
or a large plastic bag (like a dry cleaners bag), so I don't contaminate the
seat (which I've done before). Then as soon as your home, all the clothes &
shoes go directly in the wash & I go in the shower w/Fels Naptha.

I've only had an outbreak of PI once -from inhaling it, and I've removed a
lot of it.

Good luck.

Jen Prosser(longtime lurker, but coffee's keeping me up and chatty)
Zone 5b/6 (depending on how global warming's treating us)

Sunstone Herb Farm
55 Sunstone Rd.
Olivebridge, NY 12461
(845) 657-6059

Join us at the Family Farm Festival, September 11, 2005!
www.sustoneherbs.com/festival