market-farming - [Market-farming] Two Questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cheselka AT theriver.com" <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Two Questions
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:50:06 -0500

Ok you experts. Here are a coupla questions for ya:

1. While turning my compost pile, I notice that parts of it are white. In
the past, I've determined that this is charring due to the fact that my
piles were getting too hot and some of the dry matter was burning a little
bit. I've learned how to control the heat a bit better and I not longer
have such a problem. However, there's still some white-looking stuff in my
pile. When I looked at it closer this time, it looks like the white mold
that tends to grow on things. My question is: is this what I think it
problem is, and is it ok for it to be there?

2. My spinach has acquired what at first looks like dust, but upon closer
inspection very very small, clear, spheres. They're evenly distributed on
the tops of the leaves, but tend to concentrate along the veins of the
leaves underneath. They come off fairly easily if I blow on them or wipe
them with my fingers, but I've determined that it's NOT dust. Are they
eggs of some sort? If not, what might they be? If they ARE eggs, who
might be laying them and what can I do to make it such that the plants
aren't so perfect for this egg layer? I won't sell my spinach this way!!!

Thanks,

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce

http://mail2web.com/ .