market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] NYTimes.com Article: Supermarket Giants Crush Central American Farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Joe Kames" <farfish AT francomm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] NYTimes.com Article: Supermarket Giants Crush Central American Farmers
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:04:43 -0500

Aj Ticonel sold $2.5 million worth of vegetables last year,
but Mr. Monterroso, a sociologist and deal maker with a
passion for justice, paid himself only $18,000. Most of the
company's profits are plowed back into the plant, marketing
campaigns and agricultural education for the farmers.

"I want a different country for my sons," Mr. Monterroso
said. "I'm trying to redistribute the wealth so people will
live in harmony."

We need more Monterrosos and less Ken Lays.