market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue Oberle <sue AT oberlebotanical.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market insurance
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:55:25 -0700

This is a slippery subject. In Colorado, the Farmers Markets can join the state assoc. & buy market insurance - but it only covers the market in the broadest sense. If a person falls in the middle of the market, it covers. If they trip over something in your stand, you're liable. Most of the markets within the state strongly suggest you carry your own insurance as well. Several won't even let you vend without proof of insurance.

The cheapest insurance I've found is about $350.00 for the season. Many of our growers were quoted prices as high as $1,200 and exclusions such as NO eggs or barbed wire wreaths.

It also makes finding a spot to hold a market a nightmare - everyone's afraid of liability. I think the bottom line is to really get the fine print - make sure you're covered.

Sue in Colorado
Oberle Botanical

Old Timin' wrote:

I was wondering if any of you carry market insurance. At the farmers markets you go to is it up to the individual vendors to carry it or does the market itself cover all vendors under a blanket policy. What kind of costs are you paying for this, and are their any companies you might recommend.
Oldtimin