market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] cilantro overwintering

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MeLani" <mmaysen AT alltel.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] cilantro overwintering
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:54:36 -0500

Ken,
I'm going to try it this year. And your detailed description (also in
zone 6b) was especially helpful.
Thanks for the information,
MeLani

--Here in southern Missouri (zone 6b), cilantro is hardy down
--to 15 degrees F.
-- For a fall/winter crop, we plant it September 15 and
--September 30. The
--crop planted September 15 gets a good size during the fall,
--but doesn't look
--as fresh during the coldest months (when nights can get down
--to zero and we
--have to keep it under 4 layers of row cover). The crop
--planted September 30
--doesn't get as large a size during the fall, but it does
--better during those
--coldest months as it's smaller.
--
--Both crops will get through the winter fine and put on fresh
--growth for