market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cilantro overwintering

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cilantro overwintering
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 05:02:41 +0000

Here in southern Missouri (zone 6b), cilantro is hardy down to 15 degrees F. For a fall/winter crop, we plant it September 15 and September 30. The crop planted September 15 gets a good size during the fall, but doesn't look as fresh during the coldest months (when nights can get down to zero and we have to keep it under 4 layers of row cover). The crop planted September 30 doesn't get as large a size during the fall, but it does better during those coldest months as it's smaller.

Both crops will get through the winter fine and put on fresh growth for early spring. One of the nice benefits of overwintering cilantro is that when the plant bolts and starts flowering, it's the first umbellifrae plant to do so and so is very attractive to beneficial insects. And because the overwintered plants are very strong and healthy, they produce an abundance of seed -- easily a year's supply!

Ken Bezilla
East Wind
southern Missouri, zone 6b