market-farming - [Market-farming] Summer carrot germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Margaret Hoeffel <bluemoonfarm2 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Summer carrot germination
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:15:09 -0700

We are having a difficult time getting carrots to germinate this
summer. We planted our fall carrots, as usual, around the 15th of
July. It has been extremely hot and dry here this year and we have had
many days where temps were in the upper 80s and 90s (HOT for us). It
actually reached 100 the past two days. We have the beds covered in
remay because the birds will eat the newly germinated carrots within
hours of germination if we don't keep them covered. We are scratching
our heads over a bed that has virtually no germination. Is something
eating them under the remay? We believe we are keeping the soil moist.
We have drip tape on the beds but we usually water a couple of times a
day to keep the soil moist until the carrots germinate, then switch over
to drip tape. Our first carrot bed, planted about 8 days earlier took
longer than usual for seeds to germinate but germination is much more
erratic than usual. Have also had very poor germination on our bulb
fennel, planted mid-July as well.

Is is the heat or is something eating our seedlings??? We are in the
PNW.

Margaret Hoeffel
Blue Moon Farm

  • [Market-farming] Summer carrot germination, Margaret Hoeffel, 07/31/2003