market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic vinegar

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic vinegar
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:52:31 -0500

Yes, I sold my herbal vinegars at the farmers' market. After the brewing
period, I strained the vinegars through coffee filters or tea filters, put
them into sterilized bottles (that were completely dry), and added dried
herbs, chiles, or fresh garlic cloves. The garlic scapes sound like a neat
idea. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with them as long as they
aren't wet when you put them into the finished bottles. For some reason,
any water in an herbal vinegar tends to make it cloudy.

BTW, I have heard about the garlic/oil/botulism issue. The health
department here allowed herbal vinegars to be sold even if they were not
prepared in a certified kitchen. However, garlic oil (specifically IDed in
the health department rules) could not be sold unless prepared in a
commercial canning process.

And, of course, you had to pay the health department fees to sell anything
that the HD had the right to inspect. Herbal vinegars were an exception.
I never had to play to have a HD inspection or to have a certificate.

Del Williams
Clifton, IL