market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic & Oil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic & Oil
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:48:21 -0400

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:26:54 EDT, you wrote:

> And, I would very much like to see an actual scientific study
>that proves to me that garlic can "harbor" botulism, & NOT one conducted by
>TxAMU! (Of course, until then, I'm not doing it either!)

I wouldn't do it either. The benefit is so tiny, and the
potential risk is so huge (death). Very poor risk/benefit
ratio.

There was more than one outbreak of botulism from garlic
preserved in oil. ( See:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/iyh/food/garlic.html )

The fact that there *were* several outbreaks of botulism in
garlic preserved in oil (and at least two were
*commercially* canned garlic in oil) would tend to prove it
can happen, since it did happen.

I'll accept that something that *did happen* falls within
the province of *can happen*. This is sufficient proof for
me.

Pat