market-farming - [Market-farming] onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] onions
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:39:51 -0500

> Okay, onions are something I have never done but would really like to. Can
> someone give me the kindergarten primer on onions? Thank you!
>
> Shelly
> Idle Thyme Farm
> www.IdleThymeFarm.com

LOL I think I can handle the kindergarten version :). You can buy set which
looks like small dry onions. These are easy. We used these all the time
for our "hobby" garden. I haven't grown in years but did orders some this
year with our NOFA bulk order. The past few years I have been ordering
organic seedlings from Silver Seed Greenhouse in Maryland, like them fine
but hate paying the shipping :). So I have been trying to teach myself to
grow them from seed. I need to get me about 1000-2000 onions and leeks and
so far I haven't gotten that many successfully. So this year I am
attempting to really concentrate and do a good job on my seed grown. So far
about 8 128 cell flats of various onions and King Arthur leeks. They look
good, I must be diligent with the light.
Ok anyone in the know have tips for proceeding with my seed grown.

So this year I will have:
6 lbs of onions sets
3 lbs of shallot sets
1500-2000 combined onion and leeks seedlings ordered from silver seed
and ? of my seeds in my 8 flats