market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] onions
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:59:36 -0600

Regards to the list:

I really like sets - they're just easier for me to plant and you don't
have to take good care of them before you get them into the ground. The
grocery stores around her display them in bushel baskets and sell them
by the pound. I wish I could find out where they get them and perhaps I
could get them wholesale, but they won't tell me and won't cut me a deal
for a whole bushel.

I always try to get some Miss Society onion plants. Usually find them
at Earl May Garden Center in Kansas City. They're just delicious, but
don't grow very big here. I think they come from Texas.

Minnie the Pyrenees is having her puppies this afternoon. So far, there
are 8 and they're all nice, fat babies.

Marie in Missouri

My thinking is that sets do better in questionable weather (ie I can
plant them now under the row covers where the brocolli died last
month) and give bunching onions sooner.

Am I wrong? Should I stick with plants?

thanks -Allan